Friday, March 14, 2008

Sassification: Week 2

It only gets better. Jack and Sassy are quickly becoming buds. Jack often tells her all the names of the various trains in Thomas the Train & friends. He also likes to sit and pet her while watching movies. The first thing he says when he gets off the school bus is: "Where's Sassy?"

I had my first puppy training class this week (sans dogs). Apparently, people need to be trained first. The training is held at social dog club in the Pearl District (http://www.lexidog.com/) and the classes are run by Portland Paws http://www.portlandpaws.com/index.html. It's unbelievable to see the amount of obscene spoiling going on with dog owners, but Lexi Dog is a hip and nice place (while it is very clean, it still is a bit smelly because it is also a doggy daycare) to take lessons. It makes me feel like I'm part of the Paris Hilton club of dog owners even though I can't carry Sassy in a Louis Vutton handbag. I guess if I am going through the pain (and fun) of puppy training, I might as well feel like a "hip" and "now" dog owner. That's hot.

I learned a couple of ways to adjust my current clicker training technique and it worked like a charm! I am looking forward to next week's class (with dogs) so I can learn more. The North Star Foundation is also providing a private trainer (who happens to be the teacher of our puppy kindergarten class) come to the house 3 times a month and 1 time in public to practice public access training. It's a lot of work, but I'm committed and motivated to have our little Sassy be the best service dog she can be. I know she'll make me proud.

We are very excited as Jack's speech therapy program at Portland State University has offered to incorporate Sassy into Jack's sessions next term! That will be very exciting to see. It will be a great learning experience for all.




Sassy and Josie are getting along better as well. Josie no longer cries and drops to the floor every time she sees her. They now seem to have a better understanding of each other. It's funny to watch them interact and see that they are becoming friends. Sassy already looks out for her and goes to her when she is crying or calling for help.



I will try to have video up soon. With the 4 kids and Sassy, its been tough for me to grab the video camera because I usually have Colette in one hand the entire day. It's a very chaotic dance I do, but, so far, I am making it work. (Which isn't to say that I don't need a glass of wine every now and again. (I type as I sip my glass of wine. It's yappy hour at our house.)) I will try to get some footage up from this weekend when Mike is around.

Until then...

No comments: