Sunday, February 22, 2009

Training to "Find Jack"

I thought it was time to update you on our training with Sassy. We're working on Sassy's search and rescue skills and we are trying to teach her to "rescue Jack". The beginning stages is to play "hide and seek" with her and we've done that a few times in our house.

I wanted to try something a little different. We went to an open field and I had Jack run away. I had Sassy run to Jack and waited to see what she did if he started running away from her. She followed him and also began to "herd" him--cutting him off and trying to control the direction he was going. When I ran with her, she ran next to me and followed me. It was definitely interesting to watch.

We're only in the beginning stages, but it's good to see Sassy can differentiate between Jack and I and how she reacts if he runs away.

Sassy running to Jack
Sassy running after Jack
Sassy running with Jack
Treats from Jack

Tired Sassy


Hugs from Jack!

2 comments:

Carolyn said...

I swear, that dog is Charlie! Did he sneak out? Glad to see what you guys are working on ... great idea too. Looking forward to hearing how things go this spring. We're starting our CGC class in March ... a little worried about the "loose leash walking" but hopefully he'll get it down.

Anonymous said...

That's a wonderful idea. Making a game out of it too as it were. Keep up the good work.